Executive Director – Posted 11/10/2014
Founded in 2007, SPARK Reproductive Justice NOW has worked to build and strengthen the power of our communities and a reproductive justice movement that centers on Black women and LGBTQ people in Georgia and the South. By developing new leaders from marginalized communities, nurturing relationships with community partners and rethinking how we create sustainable change, we envision a world where Georgia and the South continuously cultivates communities where we can all make free and healthy decisions about our bodies, genders, sexualities, families and lives.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, we have fostered a dynamic, collaborative model of advocacy, leadership, collective action and discourse that creates change and impact for Black women and queer people’s struggles for reproductive justice. We are searching for an energetic, knowledgeable leader who can take the organization to the next level of social change impact.
The Executive Director reports to the SPARK Reproductive Justice NOW Board of Directors, which provides governance, direction, mission guidance and support for programs and activities, as well as serving as fiduciary agents.
SPARK is seeking a visionary leader and spokesperson who has deep knowledge of and commitment to the reproductive justice field, and the LGBTQ movement. The candidate should be experienced and skilled in the areas of management and fundraising, public policy and grassroots advocacy, program and organizational development. The ideal Executive Director will have a demonstrated commitment and passion for courageous progressive views and a proven track record of effective leadership and collaboration.
While no candidate will embody every quality, the successful candidate will possess many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Board Partnership Affinity: SPARK has an active, national board of governance volunteers who work in partnership with the executive director. An ability to partner with the board in promoting the mission and sustainability of the organization is essential.
- Organizational Growth Management: Experience in managing institutional growth and change. Skills in staff management, team building, mentoring and developing young and emerging leaders. Organizational capacity-building skills that support strong systems, focused goal setting and a fiscally sound organization.
- Fund Development Ability: Fundraising ability, experience and enthusiasm is required. Demonstrated track record of raising significant funds from a variety of sources and a willingness to actively build and sustain strong relationships with existing and prospective funders, individual donors including major and sustainer donors, and other stakeholders. A network of contacts with foundations, individual donor prospects, activists and organizations working in this field at all levels, from the local to the national is appreciated.
- Fiscal Stewardship: Strong financial accounting and budgeting experience, drafting and presenting budgets, interpreting financial statements, familiarity with accounts payable, accounts receivables, and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Community Partnership/Collaboration Leadership Skills: Commitment and skill in refining and growing SPARK’s diverse network of national allies, community partners and constituents.
- Program Planning and Implementation Talent: The ability to create and design program strategies, manage program budgets, implement staff and volunteer based community actions and identify and implement targeted policy strategies in a way that expands the understanding of RJ in the community and among policy makers.
- Communications Competence: Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to frame tough problems, utilize an analysis that centers Black women and queer issues, and convey complex ideas in easily understood terms that resonate with diverse audiences. Ability to oversee a vibrant communication strategy and to be responsive to media and social networking opportunities.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Very strong interpersonal skills are required and a sense of humor is a plus.The Executive Director must be located in or willing to relocate to Atlanta. The salary for this position will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience. SPARK offers an excellent medical and dental benefits package, including vacation and medical leave. Special flex-time arrangements can be offered to candidates who are highly qualified. SPARK does not pay for relocation.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this position will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience. SPARK offers an excellent medical and dental benefits package, including vacation and medical leave. Special flex-time arrangements can be offered to candidates who are highly qualified
The candidate must be located in or willing to relocate to Atlanta, GA. SPARK does not pay for relocation.
Please follow directions carefully.
Applicants should email a cover letter, a resume, and one brief writing sample (2-3 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Place “SPARK Executive Director” in the subject line. All inquiries and applications will be kept confidential. Materials received by November 28th are assured full consideration. Expected start date is January 2015.
No phone calls please. For more info, email email@example.com.
SPARK is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the bases of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or any other non-merit based factor.