Thank you for your interest in applying for this leadership opportunity with SPARK Reproductive Justice Now! SPARK Reproductive Justice Now works to create resources and opportunities for Black women, BIPOC folx, Queer, Trans, Non-binary, and Gender expansive folx to make a world free of reproductive violence and oppression. For us, Reproductive Justice is the ability for Georgia and the South to continuously cultivate communities where we can all make sustainable and liberatory decisions about our bodies, genders, sexualities, families, and lives holistically and without shame, fear, or policing.
This application is designed for us to get to know you as a person and as a potential (volunteer) Board Member. We want to learn more about your skills, experience, and interest in Reproductive Justice centering through a Queer lens. We also ask demographic and personal questions to ensure that the Board of Directors are representatives of the communities we serve.
SPARK Reproductive Justice Now’s Board is currently composed of volunteers, the majority of whom identify as Queer, Trans, Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) come from a range of socio- economic backgrounds, have varying life experiences, and live in different regions of the United States.
The Board Member will serve as a key member of the organization’s governing body, providing strategic thought partnership and guidance to ensure the organization achieves its mission and goals. The Board Member will work collaboratively with other board members and the Executive Director to provide effective leadership and support.
The Board meets tri-monthly and there is another standing committee that meets regularly (e.g., Executive Committee).
Compensation: This is a volunteer position with no compensation.
Applications Deadline: August 1, 2023
- Provide strategic direction: Work with other board members and the executive director to develop and implement the organization’s strategic plan, ensuring alignment with the
organization’s mission and values.
- Ensure legal and ethical compliance: Ensure the organization operates in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, as well as ethical standards and best practices.
- Provide financial oversight: Serve as a financial fiduciary of the organization by monitoring the overall financial health and ensure appropriate financial controls are in place to safeguard assets and resources.
- Monitor program outcomes: Ensure the organization’s programs and services are directly supportive of achieving the organization’s overall mission, vision, and values.
- Fundraising and resource development: Support the organization’s fundraising and resource development efforts, including identifying potential donors, making personal contributions if possible, and leveraging personal and professional networks.
- Participate in board meetings: Attend board meetings, actively participate in discussions, and provide input and feedback on key decisions.
- Serve on committees: Participate in board committees and working groups as assigned, and take an active role in committee work.
- Represent the organization: Represent the organization in the community, serving as an
ambassador and advocate for the organization and its mission.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and values.
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in nonprofit governance, fundraising, or other related areas.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong commitment to Reproductive Justice through a radical Black/Queer/Trans liberatory lens.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
This position may require some travel and evening or weekend work to attend meetings and events. We hold four (4) board meetings a year, which includes one (1) in-person meeting or retreat when safe and appropriate.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please email email@example.com.